Friday, October 18, 2013

DIY dry shampoo

I don't know about y'all, but store bought dry shampoos just don't seem to work for me. Maybe I am just applying them the wrong way or maybe my hair is just weird. I don't know, but it is frustrating! I have also tried using baby powder, but it really doesn't do much either. Sometimes I think I am expecting too much from my dry shampoos, but then I see things like this and I think "What the heck?! Why doesn't my hair do that?" Today is a new day though, and I am going to try yet another DIY dry shampoo from my DIY Beauty Pinterest board. This one is not a powder like most DIY dry shampoos are, so just be conscious of that if you are going to try this out yourself.

Alrighty, so all you need for this is:
1) A spray bottle. You could definitely use a smaller one if you can find one. This is the only one I could find at Walmart.
2) 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
3) 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol
4) 4 tablespoons of water
*I also added a couple drops of peppermint oil because the mixture smelled like alcohol and I didn't want people to think I had been drinking all day. This is totally optional though.

So, all you is mix all the ingredients together. I quadrupled the recipe because I had the room for it. I mixed it all in a measuring cup because you are going to have to pour it in the bottle and I don't have a funnel. 


This is what it is going to look like once it is all mixed together. 

The cornstarch does settle to the bottom if you let it set for a little while. I just shook the bottle and it all mixed together again.

For this you have to spritz your hair with this stuff until damp, run your fingers through your hair to distribute, and then blow dry it dry. This is a bit of a pain, especially when compared to regular dry shampoos. However, since none of those work for me, this is a last resort. Plus, it is better than trying to take a shower and then blow drying completely soaked hair. 
So I repeated the spritz and blow dry three times, and this stuff worked fairly well. I didn't do it on super greasy hair, only 2nd day hair. I mean, dry shampoo is not supposed to be replacing shower time, so I didn't really want to try it on 3 or 4 day hair. Gross. Plus, my hair gets really greasy really quickly because I touch it all the time. 

So, that's it y'all! Finally, a kind of dry shampoo that works for me. And it was super cheap: a win win situation for me, y'all!

Courtnie's World...
... I'm editing videos right now, woo!!
... Working at 5, boo
... I got an invitation for an interview for a job that I really, really want!!! YAY!!

Xoxo, Courtnie

No comments:

Post a Comment