Thursday, October 10, 2013

"How to": Vintage Bumper Bang Tutorial



Hello, everyone! Today I wanted to show you a super quick, super easy pinup hair tutorial. This look is great if you want to have a vintage look, but don't have a whole lot of time. Victory rolls and other vintage styles can take a while, especially if you haven't completely mastered these styles. The bumper bang style looks like this:
The nice thing about these bangs is that you can make them a part of a super elaborate look or a really simple look. Since I promised you that this was super easy, I am going with the easiest, fastest way to wear it. So! Here is everything you need:

A hair rat, bobby pins, a rat tail comb, a hair scarf and hair spray. 

*Just a disclaimer: I always use at least day old hair for any styling so that it will stay in place longer.*
First, section off the front part of your hair. The size of this section depends of the length and density of your hair. My hair is super long and thick, so I don't really need that much. I always section it off from putting my fingers at the ends of my eyebrows and just go straight up. Then, I pull the hair from the first third forward. If you have thinner hair, you may want to pull as far as the crown of your head's hair forward. You really just need enough to cover your hair rat so no one can tell that there is something in your hair. 

Then you take your hair rat, which I got at Sally Hansen Beauty for about 4 bucks, and put the first two inches over the top of it. Then, roll those few inches over themselves so they will not unravel. Then you just roll all the way up to the forehead. Make sure you roll the hair over the rat rather than under, or else you are going to end up with a weird thing on the top of your head. 

So, when it is all rolled up, it should look like this. Make sure you roll tightly. It's okay if you can see the hair rat on the end. 

After it is rolled, you just simply for the rat into a "U" shape as high as you can on your head. Don't worry if you can still see the ends of the rat, we are going to fix that later. 

Once you have shaped your new bangs into the style you want, start anchoring your hair rat down to your hair with bobby pins. The bobby pins should be going through the hair on your head and the hair rat itself. I usually have to put in 2 or 3 booby pins on each side to make sure it is secure. 


Once you're done with anchoring your hair down, you may still be able to see the hair rat. All you need to do is very gently push your hair out across the hair rat so that it is concealed. 

Once your hair is completely covering the hair rat, spritz it with some hair spray to tame those fly-aways and to hold your hair in place. 

Once your bangs are set, take your hair scarf around your hair and tie it at the top. You can tie it however you want; I usually place the knot a little on one side instead of directly in the middle. 

I always secure my scarf with a couple bobby pins because headbands and scarves don't like to stay on my head. As long as they are placed right at the ears or behind your hair, no one will see them. 

And viola! Vintage hair in less than five minutes. I wear this quiet often because it is cute, easy, and my hair is out of  my face without having to be in a bun or ponytail, Now, I didn't curl my hair or add any other embellishments, but you can get as creative with this look as you want. This is just a starting point. Spread your wings and fly, darlings!

Let me know if you guys want me to do other vintage looks for you! With this head of hair, I can basically make anything happen. Until next time, y'all!

Courtnie's World, 
... Tommy and I watched 8 episodes of Big Bang today. We need help
... Fall Break starts tomorrow at 11 for me! Woo!
... I'm hardcore craving snickers right now. 

Xoxo, Courtnie

No comments:

Post a Comment