Monday, October 28, 2013

DIY No shave hair removal test

Hey, y'all! Sorry I didn't post all weekend, but it was a busy one! My Ma (Daddy's mom) was visiting from Texas. She stayed with me in Richmond for one night and then we drove up to see the rest of the family over the weekend. I'm glad she stayed with me because I worked ALL weekend. Between work and trying to study for this stupid exam, I've only gotten 10 hours of sleep over the last few days. I feel like a zombie!

There are lots of things I want to tell you, but they will have to wait until the end. For now, here comes another Beauty DIY test, specifically, this pin right here! I have a confession to make, so don't judge me. I haven't shaved my legs in about a month. Now, I could lie to you and say that I was growing my hair out so I could do this experiment, but I want to be 100% honest. I'm sure some of you don't shave everyday. Come on! Where is your No Shave November spirit??

Anyway! This pin just leads to a picture, so we are going to have to go off the directions on this one. Here is what the pin's description says:
"I'm so glad I heard about this miracle!!! 1Tbsp of iodine 2% 1Cup of baby oil Rub your hairy area with the mixture and let set for only 5 minutes. Then gently wipe away with a damp cloth. Viola!!!! NO MORE HAIR! WHAT?!? If this works...".
So, yeah, pretty straight forward. I'm really rooting for this one, because I really don't enjoy shaving my legs. Alrighty, let's break it down.

Ingredients:
1. 1 Tbsp iodine
2. 1 cup of baby oil
  Not bad, only two ingredients, y'all know I love simplicity! I bought this stuff at Walmart and it cost me $2.47 for the baby oil and $6.24 for the iodine. $9.23, which I think is sort of pricey for a "maybe" thing, but I'm super cheap. I'm trying to rationalize this by saying I would spend that money on razors, but this better work.


This is what it looks like mixed together. They really don't stay together very well, so mix well before using.



Directions:
1. Slather it on your manly, hairy legs
2. Let it set for 5 minutes
3. Wipe it off with a damp cloth

Now I am REALLY hoping this works. So easy!! I love it! I'm a little nervous though because things like Veet and Nair do not work for me at all. So, we shall see.

Here are my hairy legs. I know y'all are curious, but this picture really does not do a justice to the hairiness of my legs. The pin has a man's leg that is full of hair on it, so I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem.

Slathering time. I really wanted to spray my hands with Pam so the color wouldn't stain, but I didn't want to do anything to mess up this whole process. Oh, well.

Now we play the waiting game.

5 minutes is up, let's wipe 'er down and check it out....


Nothing. Literally nothing changed, except my legs are now all greasy from the oil and my one hand is slightly orange. I'm so pissed out! 10 bucks wasted! Save yourselves the trouble and don't do this. Crud, I really wanted this to work. Oh well, back to shaving, I guess. 

Courtnie's World...
... I got that Writing Fellows job! Yay!! I can't wait to start next semester.
... Tommy's car completely stopped working on Thursday, so we are a one car family now. Maybe he can afford to get a car with his tax return and bonus money come March. 
... I'm choosing my classes for next semester. That much closer to graduation!
... My manager calls that my "old man grumpy face" Lol!!


Xoxo, Courtnie




24 comments:

  1. I knew it!!! I had a feeling it's one of those weird 'natural' things that don't work, and no idea where the basis of the assumptions come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, I saw the original post this morning and thought I need to google if someone actually tried this! Thanks for setting the record straight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that medical grade PURE iodine? I think that it needs to be pure iodine and not a mixture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the prompt on Pinterest said 2% iodine, so that's what I used. Maybe pure iodine would work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it didnt even removed very fine hairs??

    ReplyDelete
  6. take it from a nurse.. iodine doesn't remove hair.. -.-"" we use it to surgically clean an area to prep for surgery.. if it removes hair don't use think we will use it before our patients surgery instead of shaving them instead of costing ourselves more in our department budgets.. i'm quite appalled by how people believe anything and everything off the internet.. after how this author disproved this silly concoction that's actually improves tans and hair growth.. some of you are still asking if it's "medical grade iodine" honey i got news for you.. iodine improves hair growth.. not remove them.. if iodine removes hair.. why do we need to subject ourselves to painful hair removal.. not everything on the internet is true.. -.-""

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I am glad you are so smart that you didn't believe this just because you saw it online. I am sure your training as a nurse helped with that. Too bad it couldn't help you with your writing skills, it was very difficult to read your post through your horrible use of the English language. Why you gotta down people for using science to debunk a diy beauty secret? They used their brains to figure out if it works or not. That's smart, you're just a self righteous jerk.

      Delete
    3. Can you like shut up Vampy.

      You're not a nurse... Well you might be, be it a very uneducated nurse.
      Can you tell me where you work so I'm not subjected to illiterate nurses in charge of my drugs, health and well being? TIA :)

      Delete
    4. Hey, everyone, this is a bully-free zone. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. It is one thing to say something critical, but it is quite another to be downright mean and rude. Just try to keep it polite, please. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. We use to use this mix as suntan oil! lol I could have told you it won't remove hair. Also if your fairskinned don't use it as suntan oil cause you will fry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So maybe the pictures are backward... the before is the shaved leg, the after is the hairy leg... That makes sense! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your play by play! I used to use this as suntan oil in the 70's and just as Helobuff said, fair skin = fry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. isn't this what body builders use for their coloring for the muscle cuts to stand out clearer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Manhattan Hair Removal service from the best beauty saloon in New York. If you want to get rid of hairs I would advice to visit Dyanna Spa salon. This place has wild range of services to satisfy all their visitors with the best service ever. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The way you kept on saying "Y'all" is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for doing the research. Saves me the time, trouble and money, and, I surely do appreciate you having done so and showed proof of results so well.

    Also, for those who are getting on the nurse: 1) Your English is not any better, and, sometimes, is worse. 2) Said lovely nurse was not insulting or belittling this lady who did the research; it was the people who didn't want to stop believing it would work even when they saw proof that it did not which were being chastised. That's the way I saw it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If there are nurses on here why don't you let everyone know she's using the wrong iodine! I haven't tried it yet, but I do know Iodine 2% is a vitamin supplements not the brown liquid antiseptic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. CoolSculpting Toronto

    ReplyDelete